Insurance companies have a lot of things to consider when adding a policy. Carriers design policies that protect the insured, decide how much risk a potential policyholder could bring, develop effective rates that are both affordable to the policyholder while sustaining the insurer’s bottom line, and they need to meet their claim obligations to policyholders.
Reading that, you might be scared off thinking insurers won’t issue an auto insurance policy to you if you are a high-risk driver, but that’s not true. An experienced agent can help you find insurers that will make it possible for you to submit your SR-22 and get insurance.
What Qualifies as High Risk?
Any number of things can make an individual driver high risk. Some of the things they look for are:
· Drivers with a history of accidents
· Drivers with a DUI or DWI
· Drivers with repeat offenses for driving without coverage
· Elderly drivers
· Young drivers
· Drivers with a series of traffic violations
· Drivers with a suspended license
How Do I Qualify?
Work with agents who have access to multiple carriers, including non-standard, and know the underwriting criteria of each carrier. These agents will be able to distinguish which insurers are less likely to agreement to a policy based on your specific history and, in turn, which insurers are more likely.
To make this process easier for your agent and persuade insurers:
· Be completely honest about your driving history
· Show different ways you are making an effort to become a better driver and prevent a repeat of old mistakes
· Take a driving safety class
· Stay diligent to keep your record clean
How do I File for a SR-22?
Your agent can assist you with submitting proof of insurance through an SR-22 filing for however many years you are required to submit it.
How Do I Maintain Insurance?
Getting insurance is just half the battle as a high-risk driver. Once obtained, you need to maintain your insurance so you can keep your vehicle on the road. In order to retain your policy:
· Pay your premiums on time and in full
· Send back any annual or bi-annual renewal documents by the due date
· Keep your driving record clean
If you want to start searching Missouri SR22 Insurance or high-risk auto insurance options, give Accu Rate Insurance Agency a call at 888-607-6499. We’ll help you find the right policy and insurance company for all your non-standard auto insurance needs.